CFLs

What are Energy Efficient Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFLs)?

ENERGY STAR® qualified compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) provide bright, warm light but use about 75% less energy than an incandescent bulb while providing the same amount of light, and last up to 10 times longer. CFLs use a very small amount of mercury (less than 1.6 mg or about half of the size that can be contained on a tip of the ball point pen) to “kick start” an electric current. This current reacts with the phosphor within the tubes of the bulb and emits visible light.

What are the benefits of Energy Efficient CFL’s

Energy efficient CFLs last longer than incandescent bulbs. This means consumers won’t need to buy or change bulbs nearly as often saving energy and cutting down on material that will eventually end up in landfills. As an added benefit, compact fluorescent bulbs produce about 75% less heat. Incandescent light bulbs use only about 10% of the energy they consume to produce light; the other 90% is given off as heat, which means CFLs are safer to operate and can cut energy costs associated with home cooling.

How much can a CFL save?

By replacing incandescent bulbs in most frequently used light fixtures, it can save between 34kWh to 85 kWh per bulb.

How can CFLs efficiently be used?

CFLs provide the most savings in applications where the light is on for at least two hours a day. To save the most energy, one can replace the incandescent light bulbs in fixtures that are used to most with energy-efficient CFLs. The five highest use areas in a home typically are the kitchen, living or family room, kid’s room and the outdoor porch or post lamp. Incandescent bulbs can be saved for the fixtures where CFL’s are less suitable, such as in a closet where the light would only be on for a few minutes at a time.

What are the benefits of using CFLs?

CFLs use about 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs and produce less greenhouse gases. CFLs also last about 10 times longer than incandescents which won’t only save the user from having to replace them as often but also reduces waste that will end up on landfill. Changing to CFL’s also costs little upfront and provides a quick return on investment.

What are the differences between LED light bulbs & Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs)?

CFLs use a very small amount of mercury (less than 1.6 mg or about half of the size that can be contained on a tip of the ball point pen) to “kick start” an electric current. This current reacts with the phosphor within the tubes of the bulb and emits visible light. CFLs use most of their energy turning on but after the bulb is lit, it uses up to 75% less energy of its incandescent equivalent. Compact fluorescent bulbs can last up to 12,000 hours of use and are currently less expensive per bulb than LED bulbs.

LED light bulbs (Light Emitting Diodes) utilize semiconductors in diodes to emit light. These diodes are constructed of plastic which makes them last longer (up to 30,000 hours) and are more durable than the glass bulbs.

LEDs last longer and use less energy to emit light than CFLs but are more expensive. On the other hand, CFLs have a shorter lifespan than LEDs but costs less to purchase.